Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lots of lettuce



There are two heads of lettuce in the share this week, very unusual for us but it was ready and beautiful, and I was afraid it wouldn't hold in the ground for another week, so we cut it. There's also another nice bunch of spinach, a second pick of the last planting. I'm not sure if we'll get another pick out of it. I wasn't expecting radishes today, but there were still a bunch out there that had sized up a little from last week so I tossed those in. Finally a new item, chive blossoms. I finally put in a planting of chives this year, after meaning to do it for the last two seasons. There aren't a lot of chives, but there were enough blooms that I thought I'd give those out, especially after reading this post from Eatwell Farm down in Dixon, California. Yianni also tells me that his mother infuses white vinegar with the blossoms. They can be used on salads as well, or tossed into pasta.

Very busy planting this week. I finally got some beans seeded, two weeks later than planned. We're in the process of preparing beds for brussels right now for the fall and winter shares. Summer squash, melons, and cucumbers are all in the works as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment